How to Use Social Listening to Benefit Your Business
How to Use Social Listening to Benefit your Business
Day#95/365 Daily Tips. Goal Series Article #8/8 How to Use Social Listening for your Business.
What is Social Listening
Social listening is the process of monitoring digital conversations to understand what customers are saying about a brand and industry online. … It is also used to surface feedback that could help to differentiate their brand, product, or service.
Is one of your business goals to have a good handle on what is being said about your business or brand online? Is it important to your business to know and understand trends, and what your competition is doing? If you answered YES to these goals then one of the strategies you can use to work towards this goal is to implement Social Listening tasks.
The basis of social listening is to be on top of the obvious – and that is to be monitoring when someone mentions or tags on of your social media accounts. You will get a notification and have the chance to respond.
Easy Ways to “Listen” about what is being said about your company online:
- Monitor your social media accounts for mentions @
- Monitor Facebook for mentions of your business that were not tagged by using the search function
- Set up a Google Alert for your Business Name
- Set up a Google Alert for your Competitions Business Name
- Set up Google Alerts for your main industry
- Monitor other social media platforms using their search functions for your business name
How Social Listening Helps your Business
Regardless of the size of your business you can never have too much information about the public perception of your business. Your online reputation is one of the keys to success. You can use the process of social media listening to benefit your business by:
- Responding when someone mentions your business (share, comment, like)
- Be on top of any customer complaints
- Understand new trends in your industry so you can react quickly and stay competitive
- Watch what your competition is doing so you can adjust any other strategies accordingly. Example – you own a restaurant and want to start a kids eat free night. You discover on Facebook that the restaurant down the street already has a Kids Eat Free night on Mondays. This gives you powerful information to make a strong business decision to have your free night another day of the week.
- Find new leads – yes I get leads from this type of listening. When someone posts “social media management” on a Facebook group and are looking for help I can quickly respond and often generate a lead or a customer
In closing I really hope that you found my “Goal” Series helpful. You can read all of the articles here:
If I can ever be of any assistance with any of your online needs, please don’t hesitate to reach out. email@example.com or connect on any of my social media channels.