+1-866-647-1057
sarah@dufferinmedia.ca

Social Media Tip: Use the 80/20 Rule

Social Media Tip: Use the 80/20 Rule

social media tip follow the 80 / 20 rule

Social Media Tip: Follow the 80/20 Rule

social media tip follow the 80 / 20 rule

Social Media Content Tip: Follow the 80/20 Rule

Here is a fun and easy tip for the Tuesday after the long weekend. (Canada Day was yesterday). When you are preparing your social media content calendar it is often wise to keep in mind the 80/20 rule.

What is the 80/20 Rule?

The 80/20 Rule suggests that only 20% of the social media posts you share to your platforms be Sales related. The other 80% of your posts would be to inform, educate and entertain your audience.

At Dufferin Media when we are creating an “Ad Copy” our team has almost always followed this rule but slightly adjusted to 30/30/30. Because for the majority of our clients we post 3 times per week, it is then easier to post one sales post, one educational post, and one entertainment or social post.

Whichever percentage you decide I think you can get the purpose of this rule. It is so you are not posting 100% “Sales” content, because really that’s extremely boring and you probably won’t get much engagement. And if you are posting funny entertainment all the time – then you might be missing out on sharing actual sales content and getting business from social media. So I love this rule because it gives a general outline of content creation, and when I’m preparing an ad copy for either myself or a client it makes my life easier to plan out the month in advance before I start.

Example of a Social Media Content Calendar

In this example of social media content calendar you can see I am giving myself a rough outline of the 3 posts per week I am going to prepare in advance. This makes the next steps sooo much easier, and reduces the time to research and come up with ideas for content.

Hope you have found this helpful. If you are ever looking for assistance, my DMs are always open.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *